PLEASE NOTE: The KOWAL Hayabusa Octopus is not compatible with the Hayabusa Silent Optical joystick, as it is constructed differently. The KOWAL Hayabusa Octopus is not designed for the Sanwa JLF, Seimitsu LS, Crown, Suzo Happ, IL, or other joystick - it is designed specifically for the original Hori Hayabusa joystick.
At the moment, Hori - manufacturers of the popular Hori Hayabusa Joystick - have not indicated plans to offer an octagonal restrictor plate. Kowal, well known for the Kowal 1mm Oversize Actuator for Sanwa JLF Series Joystick, Flat Plate Converter and Japan S Plate Converter, took the challenge to design an integrated solution that could be manufactured and installed easily, called the "Hayabusa Octopus".
As KOWAL First Envisioned
In late 2015, an acrylic version of the Hayabusa Octopus was released to the public. These gates were designed in-house as part of our FA Plexworks initiative, and served as a global test for durability and appeal. After over 2000pcs sold, high praise, and useful feedback given to Kowal's unique hybrid octagonal and circular design, we were confident to move forward with a mold, designed exactly as Kowal originally wanted it.
New Features, Same Economical Price
- The new KOWAL Octopus is made of a durable nylon plastic. It is molded into an attractive shape that greatly compliments the Hayabusa's construction.
- Octopus' internal gate is several millimeters deeper than the acrylic model. Most importantly, it is beveled inward to best accomodate the tilt of your joystick shaft. For those to like to ride the gate hard, this approach greatly reduces wear and tear of the actuator over the previous model.
- The underside of the gate is recessed around the center. This was designed specifically to fit the Kowal 1mm Oversize Actuator for Sanwa JLF Series Joystick, which is also compatible with the Hayabusa.
Even as improvements exist over the original model, the price hasn't changed. You can still purchase the Kowal Octopus under three dollars.
Smooth Around the Corners
Inspired by the Seimitsu LS 56 Octagonal Restrictor Plate, the KOWAL Hayabusa Octopus factors both rotation and diagonal range that is lost in the Sanwa GTY's Octagonal gate. This standard creates two contact points on each corner of the gate, creating a small gap between actuator and the gate. The actuator never fully rests on the corner of the GTY. The Octopus is instead designed to have a large, single contact point on the rounded corner - the actuator rests directly in this corner. Not only does this design provide you with a smoother rotation when performing circluar motions, but also provides a greater diagonal range.
Add KOWAL 1mm Oversize Actuator for Shorter Throw
One of the benefits of the Hori Hayabusa joystick lever is its ability to accept mods normally compatible with Sanwa JLF. Many have installed the Kowal 1mm Oversize Actuator for Sanwa JLF Series Joystick to their stock Hayabusa gate, though rounding on the wide edge of the actuator is required to use properly with that gate.
With the 1mm oversize actuator and Octopus installed together, you can actually retain the diagonal and rotational benefits of the Octopus while shortening your throw, and without needing to round the actuator's edge.
Kowal is the name of a well-respected member on Shoryuken.com forums and elsewhere in the arcade community. He has extensive knowledge of the inner workings of many control devices. With his permission, we introduce the KOWAL™ brand of performance solutions that highlight accuracy and compatibility above all else.
Installing the KOWAL Hayabusa Octopus is fairly straightforward:
- First, use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove the four screws that attach the existing Hori Hayabusa to the joystick body. Remove the screws and put them aside.
- Next, remove the original Hayabusa square restrictor plate.
- Now, install the KOWAL Octopus plate onto the Hayabusa joystick body, lining up the screw and rounded rectangle holes with the joystick body. This photo depicting a transparent version of the earlier gate provides a good example of the correct install:
- Finally, replace the four screws that you originally removed from the Hayabusa. You do not need to overtighten, as this can crack the acrylic. The plastic columns will additionally keep the plate from moving.